Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Do you believe in the Resurrection?

A few years ago I walked into a classroom, "Mr. White we need you to break the news to the 2nd grade class that their classmate was shot and murdered over the weekend".... there is no counseling course or book to read on how to break this kind of news to anyone. All I could do was ask God to guide my words and let me grieve with those who are hurting most. I asked the students to have a seat and be quiet while I stood silently in front of them, gathering my thoughts. The room became quiet and my heart began to pound. "Children I have some sad news today..." As I began to share what happened some students began to cry uncontrollably, while others looked around the room in confusion. Me and our principal did our best to explain the tragedy to these young ones. Parents stood in the room in utter shock, teachers stepped out in the hall to gather themselves. After speaking with the class and answering questions for over an hour I began to leave the room to go speak to other classes. As I was walking out I had a little girl raise her hand and ask in a sincere voice..."so when is he coming back?" My heart broke.

Death and dying is never easy to discuss with those grieving but in a school setting, it's different. We have restricted the freedom to talk about God in our schools and I was fully aware of that and did my best to respect the law. I was also struggling to rationalize death so that I could comfort others yet still give them hope to want to live in this world. My mind began going other places. I began to ask myself, what would someone who doesn't believe in God tell these children. How would they be able to break this down in a way where a child would not be afraid to walk around the same streets their classmate was shot and killed by gang members. What comfort does this world provide? The truth is, this world does not provide any comfort, it only provides pain.

I was told a few other classes were struggling so I walked down the hall to our 3rd grade class and allowed the students to ask questions. One boy raised his hand "Do you believe he is in heaven....." The room became still and the sniffling stopped. All eyes began to look up waiting for an answer... I did the only thing I could think of and put the question back on them. "What do you think little boy? Did he go to heaven?" He smiled at me "yes I believe he did.... me too" I added. Almost immediately I had another boy raise his hand in anticipation, "yes go ahead" I said to the eager student in the back. "Do you believe we are resurrected like Jesus?" Once again the room became quiet and all eyes were on me. I will leave it up to your imagination as to how you think I answered that question.

That day rocked me. Many people have asked me questions about God over the years but how profound in the midst of suffering and pain for a third grader to ask me about the Resurrection. It has become a common phrase to tell others "they are in a better place" or "rest in heaven". How can we be sure? Death is inevitable for us all, it does not play favorites and it comes at all ages.

We all hope that death is not the end, that we will get to see loved ones again, that our souls will go on to a better place but what does your hope hang on? The hope of following Jesus is that you will not have pain in this life but that you will one day be with the one who can remove all pain and suffering. Jesus life on earth was a living example of what His Kingdom will be like. While on this earth he healed every sickness, he raised the dead to life, he also promised in his king there will be no pain, no sorrow and he will wipe every tear from our eye. (Revelation 21:4). The hope of following Jesus isn't wishful thinking, he was a real person, who existed on earth, even non-believing scholars agree with this statement. There is more historical evidence surrounding the resurrection of Jesus than any other historical event in the ancient world known to date. There is no more secure hope than to put your faith in Jesus Christ and his words.

When I pass away one day, I will look forward to seeing family members, I will look forward to no longer struggling here on this earth but most of all I look forward to being at the feet of Jesus. He is the one who will provide security, comfort, love, forgiveness and all good things we experienced here on earth. There is no other place i'd rather be then in the presence of the Lord, the creator of heaven and earth for he alone saves.

Thank you for reading, please share and God Bless!!


No comments:

Post a Comment