Monday, November 5, 2012

My Generation


I'm always asking God what I can do for him, well a few months ago He put on my heart to start a ministry for people like me, that are around my age. This past month we started My Generation.

Let's rewind back to mid July, I was sitting in a service at Lancaster Community Church. The message was on Sex. Our pastor did a great job of illustrating how wonderful and enjoyable sex can be in the context of marriage. I couldn't help but feel a bit lost after that message. "What about the people who have not always lived a path of purity?" I thought to myself. That night I went to a 20 something service at a place in Westerville called Joshua House. During worship I asked God what I can do for Him, I asked Him to use me, I held my arms out as if I was embracing anything God threw my way, sure enough He did. God put on my heart that I needed to reach the "lost generation". The lost generation is the hardest age group to reach. It usually includes people who are raised Christians but when they graduate High School or go off to college they begin to gain independence and drift away from their faith, people a lot like myself.

As I stood in the middle of a crowded church, surrounded by hundreds of people my age worshiping the same God I felt His overwhelming presence. I felt a conviction in my heart to start something for people like me who were lost, people who are struggling to find purpose, who are young and either have faith or have questions, the people of My Generation. I went home that night after church and said "okay God i'm willing and able, you lead me". After fifteen minutes of banging my fingers on the keyboard I was finished. God led me to write a 3 page platform of the exact ministry He wanted me to create.

First we are to have three songs of worship, followed by a testimony, then a message and then we are to break up into small groups for a half hour. God even put on my heart twenty topics he wants me to cover, all the people who will help me lead this ministry and things to plan for the future. Without changing a thing I prayed about where to start it. I personally wanted to start in Columbus so it would be closer to my apartment, the last place I wanted to start it was Lancaster, besides I already drive there once a week for church. I began to think about all the crime and the drug population in Lancaster and felt God tell me that's where He needed me to start this ministry. I was quickly humbled and remembered it's not about me.

Months went by after I met with my lead pastor at Lancaster Community Church, Matthew Johnson, before he confirmed that he and the elders felt led to start this ministry. I have no idea how to lead a ministry but God promised He would be guiding me every step of the way. The first night of our young adult ministry I asked God what He wanted me to talk about. I immediately felt led to talk about why we are meeting and what my vision was for My Generation, here is what I said:

"God knows we need fellowship. We are at a critical age where we are setting the foundation for the rest of our lives. We are all beginning families, careers, higher education and having children. Why not come together once a month and figure this out together, support and encourage one another."

 Someone asked me what my long term vision was for My Generation. I responded by telling them I didn't want this to just be another service, I want it to be a movement. My Generation is capable of things that have never been done before. I want leaders to rise up, I want people in their late teens, 20's and 30's to start living out the mission Jesus left us with, to love our neighbors with courage and boldness. I want to see My Generation spread all over Lancaster, Pickerington, Columbus and Ohio. I want people to take back their faith and not be ashamed to live out their purpose for God. I want My Generation  to talk about their faith and to not only  believe in Jesus but to follow him by living a life of extreme generosity and kindness. We cannot change the direction our world with government programs, brilliant thoughts and a positive attitude, we must take action, we must begin loving others the same way Christ loved us. I see what God wants to do with My Generation, my only question is are you brave enough to be a part of it?

My Generation Dates: November 9th & December 14th, 2012 at 7pm
Location: Lancaster Community Church
Address: 230 N. Columbus St. Lancaster , OH, 43130

You can now follow My Generation by liking us on Facebook at My Generation@LCC

Please "like", tweet or share this message to help us invite others to become part of this movement and to allow young adults an opportunity to join together  to support and encourage one another. 

If you have any questions, comments or need prayer please email me at MyGenerationMinistry@Gmail.com 
God Bless!!

No comments:

Post a Comment